8/30/12

Rooster Nurse!


Yeah, you heard me right... I am presently filling the role of "rooster nurse"! Our only rooster, (a Golden-Laced Wyandotte), has somehow managed to hurt his foot. He began limping about a week ago, and after 3 days of antibiotics he wasn't showing any improvement. Against my better judgement, I allowed my concerned husband to talk me into taking him to the vet. Apparently this is a bit unconventional, because we were only able to find 1 vet in a 30 mile radius that would look at him (I assume we were the "joke of the day" after we left!). The vet prescribed more antibiotics and a daily foot soaking in betadine (really?!), and also told us to keep him pinned up. So guess who got the job of attempting to administer meds to a rooster? You guessed it! Luckily, we had a small dog crate we were able to put him in. The chickens seem none too happy to have him locked away, either! (I haven't gotten an egg in days!). In any case, we were already planning on building a new coop, but his injury has spurred us on to get it done a little quicker. I'm assuming he cut it in the messy chicken yard, as no one has bothered raking the yard in months (guess I'll get to do that too!). The only good thing that has come out of all this is that I've FINALLY  gotten over my fear of this rooster and he seems a little tamer because of it. I'll just be glad when it's all over!

No comments:

Post a Comment